Sunday, March 14, 2010

Time Lost

Wow!

In the second half of 2006, I began reading Remembrance of Things Past, or what today commonly is titled In Search of Lost Time. Today I finished it. This is not to say that the title changed while I was reading it. But I didn't really recapture time, either.

I thought I had been reading for two years. Actually, I spent three and a half years reading this monumental novel. I did not spend every moment, nor even every day, with it. In truth, I cheated on it with many other books during that time. Not because it didn't satisfy me, but because I always am in the process of reading several books at any one time. Proust was especially good for Sunday mornings. But often, too, I picked up this novel and read myself to sleep, night after night. With a paperback edition of The Da Vinci Code, I might get through ten pages before my eyes fell shut. With Proust, it was more like two pages.

What I did not experience while reading, rather curiously, was the passage of time within the novel. Perhaps that is because so much actual time passed while I read. Perhaps I failed as a reader. This probably adversely affected my full appreciation of the end.

Some time ago, someone mentioned that the social gatherings recorded in the novel were usually boring, though accurately depicted. I found this to be true as well, and much of the novel is given to those occasions. I confess to gaining more insight, and taking more away from the novel, by reading commentary and criticism on these passages, rather than the novel itself.

Near the end, Proust notes that a reader will get out of a novel only what is within himself. This was certainly true for me, when I read the passage concerning Vermeer. I am a fan of the film All the Vermeers in New York, but I did not understand its connection to Proust's novel until I read the novel. At the end of the film is a voice-over that is wonderfully haunting. And the text of this I discovered to have come straight from Proust's pen. I read it, felt a chill of recognition, and then read it again, for the sheer enjoyment at it's beauty. It is one of the best passages in the novel.

Three sections I felt stood out from the rest and deserved special recognition. The least of these comes near the end, as Proust discourses on literature. Not only is this a general theory of literature, it is also the narrator's discoveries of his own powers and his own hopes for what he may achieve. It is an explanation and description of Proust's novel, as well as a gauge by which a reader may judge all novels.

The second of my favorite sections was diffused in earlier parts of the novel, and echoed in the end, concerning the actress Berma, and the narrator's impressions of her. Though the same theme is repeated in many instances throughout the novel, for me the message of disillusionment was conveyed best through this character.

My favorite section of the novel was the entire part titled "Swann's Way". The depiction of love, from its wonderful beginnings to its bitter endings, was brilliant. This, with all its attendant jealousy, was a major theme throughout the novel. The love between the narrator and Albertine, especially, echoed some of the same sentiments, but failed to rise to the same level. This early section shot me into the rest of the book, and really provided most of the foundation for the remainder of the novel.

I would definitely recommend reading the entire novel. If it wasn't so long, I would read it again, hoping for a more thorough appreciation of all the elements, having now also read the commentary. Was I to reread something, though, I would turn first to Thomas Hardy, who for me is much more accessible, and probably even more heart-wrenching. But given a limited amount of time, and a desire to sample Proust, one could not go wrong to read "Swann's Way" alone.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

Congratulations on finishing. I'm going about the same pace as you. I started about 3 years ago and have 950 pages to go. One thing that got me inspired to pick up the pace was this BBC radio program on Proust:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00548wx

Nick in Fresno, Ca

3:19 PM  
Blogger JAAC said...

Hi I just came across your interesting blog about your experience of reading Proust. I too took several years to read the whole thing - interspersing it with other books of course - and am now rereading it but in French this time (with a back up download of a translation on my ipod touch so that I can carry the two around with me easily) - again interspersing it with reading lots of other books. I'm now resigned, quite happily, to it being always a reading in progress...

http://beinginlieu.blogspot.com/

10:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for the observation about the social events and their intricately described tedium... Just like real social events, I would read and read just to keep going, then have a Great Time reading for a few minutes... like the good part of a party that you remember on Monday, forgetting the rest of the evening. Someone explained to me that the LOST time, which is a literal translation of temps PERDU, alludes to the "wasted time" of social life, for which the narrator is chided by his family.

3:32 PM  
Blogger SJ Lambert said...

Good on youse. Hard work, well worth it. Wait a few years...then read it all again!

11:39 PM  
Blogger -blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...

HEAR YE! O HEAR YE!! This’ll help immensely on your journey Upstairs: Q: Why should you love our exploded plethora of produce which’ll plant the seeds for YOU to grow to great heights?? PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK:

A: Greetings, earthling. Not sure if we're on the same page if you saw what I saw. Because I was an actual NDE on the outskirts of the Great Beyond at 15 yet wasn’t allowed in, lemme share with you what I actually know Seventh-Heaven’s Big-Bang’s gonna be like for us if ya believe/accept: meet this ultra-bombastic, ex-mortal-Upstairs for the most blatantly deluxe, incredibly incomprehensible, catch-22-excitotoxins, myriads of cogently-ironic-metaphors, sheer guhroovaliciousnessly-delicious-endorphin-rush, pleasure-beyond-measure, Ultra-Firepower-Idyllic-Addiction in the Great Beyond for a BIG-ol, kick-ass, party-hardy, robust-N-risqué, eternal-real-McCoy-warp-drive you DO NOT wanna miss the sink-your-teeth-in-the-rrrock’nNsmmmokin’-hot-deal: PLEASE KEEP HANDS/FEET INSIDE THE RIDE UNTIL WE MADE A CIRCUMFERENCE OF the OUTSTANDING, NEVER-ENDING, THRILLIONTH-RED-MARKER-POSSIBILITIES …with eXtra eXciting eXtroverts doing the most vivid, brazen conGREWnts: flawless as pearls from the Toyster Upstairs!!! Gain altitude, not attitude, and take front-row-seats, miss gorgeous, as the inexhaustible, irresistible intimacy shall blow-your-fragile-mind to peaces. Meet me Upstairs. Do that for us. Cya soon, girl…

PS “It is impossible that anyone should NOT receive all that they have believed and hoped to obtain; it gives Me great pleasure when they hope great things from Me and I will always give them more than they expect”
-Our Lord to Saint Gertrude

7:13 PM  
Blogger EDGAR DUVIVIER said...

Hi,

I am a brazilian artist and a Proust lover. Soon I will be giving a statue of Marcel Proust, life size in bronze to the city of Cabourg, hoping to make this homage at Proust birthday, the 10th of July. To finance this project, I am selling a limited number of statuettes, miniatures of the statue. I have already sold 25 among brazilians french and americans. The name of contributors will figure at a plaque beside the statue. Here-in some photos and information. The price of the statuette is 800 euros.
Hope you like this idea.
Best wishes
https://www.facebook.com/proustacabourg/?fref=ts
Edgar Duvivier

10:38 AM  
Anonymous weight loss exercise at home said...

Congratulation on your finishing love to see your posts

2:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home