Thursday, August 03, 2006

One volume down

I've experienced a strange reluctance to post here as I read. I'm sure most of that is because I like to form my own impressions of a book as a whole before being swayed by another's opinions, but I suspect part of it is also a nagging feeling of not having finished an assignment. But now my once pristine paperback copy of Swann's Way is fully post-it note-ed and slightly the worse for wear, I have explained to each of my relatives who asked me while I was on vacation why it was I was reading a seven part novel I had to confess didn't have much of a plot (prompting from one aunt what is possibly the only known comparison of Swann's Way to Napoleon Dynamite), and I have nearly overdosed on beautiful, quotable passages. I found it enthralling and suffocating and I loved every minute of it, even when I was yelling at Swann for being such a freaking idiot over Odette.

I have some thoughts on the events at the end of "Swann In Love" but I think I'll save those for another post a little later. For now, I need to clear my head a bit before I crack open the next volume.

3 Comments:

Blogger LK said...

Becky, no fears. I am in the same boat. Proust is so intimate, such a personal experience. Like no other author I've read. Which makes it exciting but damned difficult, too.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Rebecca H. said...

This is interesting -- I feel overwhelmed by beautiful, quotable passages also, but my way of dealing with it is to blog about little passages along the way, because trying to write at the end of pages and pages and pages would be overwhelming. Different responses to the same feeling of awe, it seems like. I look forward to your thoughts when you do post them!

6:31 PM  
Blogger Stefanie said...

I laughed at the comparison between Swann's Way and Napolean Dynamite! I agree with LK, I am finding Proust to be quite intimate as well and have been reluctant to post anything lately. Looking forward to more of your thoughts Becky

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home