Thursday, June 29, 2006

Welcome!

Hello and welcome everyone. In case you didn't know about it, Barnes and Noble has several of the books of the new translation in hardcover as bargain books!I was able to pick up a copy of the new translation of Swann's Way in the store as a bargain book but it does not appear to be available online. Everyone is welcome to read whichever translation he or she wants. I think it will be interesting to find out the differences in them.

You can begin posting Proust thoughts and links right away. Let's aim to begin discussion on section one of "Combray" in Swann's Way by July 15th. Depending on your translation, that comes out to 50-60 pages of reading. We'll keep the pace of 50-60 pages a week after that and make adjustments as needed.

If I have linked your name to your blog and you don't want the link, let me know. Likewise, if you have a blog and I didn't get your name linked to it let me know. Thanks and happy reading!

8 Comments:

Blogger SFP said...

I ordered the bargain volumes last night. Thanks for the tip, Stefanie.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Quillhill said...

Yikes! You set a grueling pace.

10:40 AM  
Blogger dfvsdvsd said...

Hey, could you invite me again? For some reason the invite link that was sent to my email address is faulty...

10:58 AM  
Blogger Rebecca H. said...

Very cool. Now I have to go out and buy the books, and get reading!

11:18 AM  
Blogger Stefanie said...

I'll send a new invite to you this evening Phil and I'll get all your names up on the sidebar tonight too. I don't think my employer would appreciate me blogging on work time, though I can't imagine why :)

11:31 AM  
Blogger Stefanie said...

Oh, and is 50-60 pages a week too much? There's a lot to read and I didn't think we'd want to be at it for years. Of course everyone can read at his or her own pace too. No lashings for folks who want to read slower :)

11:35 AM  
Blogger Isabella K said...

Those new translations are so tempting, calling to me every time I step in the store, but I have an old copy by my bed already. I stopped reading it years ago at about page 80. Would love to give it another go, particularly as a group effort, but that might be biting off more than I can chew (I've made a commitment to War&Peace already). Will follow along as best as I can.

Doris Lessing last year gave a lecture (http://www.tate.org.uk/onlineevents/webcasts/doris_lessing/) in which she talks quite a bit about Proust — it rekindled my interest in this book.

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Beaverton Home Staging said...

Heello mate nice blog

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home